Review : SK-II Facial Treatment Essence

12/17/14











Today I'm reviewing some serious greatness contained in a glass bottle : the SK-II Facial Treatment Essence.
This is the second time I purchase this product and I thought it was finally time for me to give you my opinion on this product.  

First of all, a bit of history...

About SK-II
SK-II was born out of "Secret Key", a skincare line developed by Japanese scientists during the 1970s who were looking into using more naturally derived ingredients. While observing workers at a sake brewery, they observed that elderly workers had wrinkled faces that showed their age, but their hands were smooth, clear and younger looking from years of submerging their hands in the fermented yeast. After much research and development, the strain of naturally-occurring yeast was isolated for use. This led to SK-II's secret ingredient, Pitera™, which allows the skin's natural surface rejuvenation process to function at its prime.

"Secret Key" was renamed as "SK-II" in Early 1990s.


What is Pitera™ ?
Derived from a strictly controlled natural fermentation process, Pitera™ is a clear liquid rich in vitamins, amino acids, minerals and organic acids. The fascinating combination of nutrients work to dramatically improve the skin’s natural surface rejuvenation process. This unique and signature ingredient bears close resemblance to the skin’s Natural Moisturizing Factors (NMF) – a deciding element in the restoration and enhancement of translucency, softness and smoothness. Nature, technology and craftsmanship blend harmoniously to create the miracle of Pitera™ — to present a promise of crystal clear skin that is yours to always keep.


SK-II Facial Treatment Essence
Known as "Miracle Water" or "Holy Water" in Asia, SK-II Facial Treatment Essence is the brand’s signature product with a bestselling and much-awarded formula that features 90% Pitera™. Its irreplaceable formula gently exfoliates the face and helps moderate the skin surface renewal cycle while improving the appearance of the five dimensions of beautiful, crystal clear skin—spots are less visible, wrinkles are reduced, skin texture is more refined, firmness is improved and radiance is beautifully elevated.

Ingredients
Saccharomycopsis Ferment Filtrate (Pitera), Butylene Glycol, Pentylene Glycol, Aqua (Water), Sodium Benzoate, Methylparaben, Sorbic Acid.

How I use it
Even though SK-II recommend to apply it with a cotton pad, I do pat it directly onto my skin, every morning and evening after toning my face. 


My opinion
To begin this review, I'm warning you : don't expect from this product to give your skin amazing results overnight! The first time I bought this essence and started using it, I seriously wondered if I wasn't just padding water onto my skin. The first week I couldn't see if my skin was changing in any way, I felt so disappointed.

But my skin was actually changing. As I continued to use it, I began to notice my T-zone was less and less oily, but it didn't stop there. My deshydrated skin stopped feeling tight around the nose and on the forehead. The dry patches slowly faded away. My clogged pore started to reduce significantly over time and my usual bumpy skin felt way smoother. As my skin was finding back its balance, it also began to brighten.
With this new clear skin, my acne just stayed away for the whole time I was using this essence. I could finally see its value as the results I was expecting did came!

Ever since, I haven't found any product as effective as this one for skin renewal, but I'm still looking for one as I still find the SK-II essence to be too expensive. You definitly get what you pay for, but for people who are still students like me, it may be too much of an investissement to repurchase it every 3 or 4 months.

Beside the price, I noted two others cons. First, the scent. I admit the smell of this essence is not very pleasant, but I personnally don't really mind, as it fades away as soon as you apply it. I'm simply mentionning this point as I found that many people complained about it.

And secondly, this essence contains methyparaben, which I usually try to stay away from like any other paraben.
For those who don't know, parabens are preservatives widely used in cosmetics to prevent the growth of bacteria and microbes in your makeup, skincares, and so on.
Now, why should you avoid parabens as much a possible? To be honest, I can't provide you a definite answer. Some researchers do think that the use of parabens can increase the risk of health problems such as cancer. A study showed that parabens could be detected in the blood and urine a few hours after using cosmetics containing parebens. On the other hand, some researchers argue that used in small amounts, like in personal-care products/cosmetics, parabens do not pose a significant health risk.
Personnally, in doubt, I prefer staying away from parabens. I really hoped SK-II would come up with a parabens-free formula as this product is one of my all-time favorite.
The parebens are another reason why (beside its price) I'm trying to look for an alternative product with similar effects. But I do admit that until I find another similar product, the presence of parabens won't stop me from using this essence. I think it's worh mentioning, because as consumers we should be aware of the risks behind every product we use, but what you decide to do afterwards, it's totally up to you!


This parabens-problem aside, I would still advise everyone to give this essence a try, may your skin be dry, oily, combination, sensisitive, deshydrated... I do strongly believe that this essence can help any of you in maany ways!

To sum up...

Pros
- Balanced skin (skin produces less oil and doesn't feel tight/deshydrated)
- Brigther complexion
- Smoother skin
- Clearer skin
- Keeps pimples away
- Refreshing
- Lightweight (absorbs really well, just like water)
- Formulated without : sulfates, synthetic fragrances and GMOs

Cons
- Contains methylparaben
- The scent
- The price (about US$ 100 for a 75ml bottle, but you can get it at almost half the price on Sasa)

Where to buy? : available on Sasa, Nordstrom and even on Sephora.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment