Review : Laneige Water Bank Essence + Power Skin Essential Refiner Light & Cellnique Skin Action Sebum Gel

9/10/12

Back in May, after using SK-II products, that I just loved so much, for nearly a year, I wanted to try out cheaper skincares. I'm still a student and my only income is my pocket money, then I can't afford these kind of overly expensive products. ;)

Anyway! I had read so many good reviews about Laneige, and since it was cheaper, I decided to try out some of their products (for those who don't know what Laneige is, it is a South-Korean cosmetics brand, founded in 1994 under Amore Pacific Group). I picked out the Water Bank Essence and the Power Skin Essential Refiner, from their Basic Line. You can either choose the Light or Moisture version of the Power Skin Essential Refiner, but since I have combination skin, I went for the Light one.

I also decided to re-order the Skin Action Sebum Gel from the Malaysian brand, Cellnique, that once satisfied very much.
I had bought it last year along with the Skin Action Gel Plus and the Advanced Bio Renewal Masque from the Blackhead Banishing Kit, and besides the Skin Action Gel Plus that was drying my skin way too much, the other two worked wonder on my skin.

I would have liked to do a review of them, as well as one of the SK-II products I tried, but I only have the empty containers left, then I don't think it would be that helpful. :p

So, for a little more than 3 months, I've been using these three products as my new daily skincare regimen, along with my Vichy Normaderm Purifying Cleansing Gel and Clarisonic Mia 2 (I know many of you wonder about Clarisonic, then I'll make a review in a upcoming post for those who don't want to spend so much money on something, without reading tens of reviews about it, as I did!).


Cellnique Skin Action Sebum Gel :
Let's see what Cellnique website can tell us about the product...

My review :  
I was so amazed by this product the first time I bought it. You can see some results after only a week of use! It's the best product I have ever used to reduce sebum secretion, blackheads and whiteheads. Now that I have re-purshased it, I can say the effects are still awesome. Well, I still have blackheads, there is no miracle product to get rid of them completly, but my nose is now so smooth and my pores are clearly less visible. I think someone with less stubborn blackheads could get rid of them.
I apply this gel twice a day, in the morning and evening, before my moisturizer, as recommended, and one small pump is enough to cover my t-zone, then even if there is only 30ml of product, it can last at least 3 months.
The gel gives a really refreshing feeling when you apply it. Its texture is quite thick, then it can feel as if you had a mask on the face for the first seconds after the application, but it impregnates and dries very quickly. It's the same for the scent. It has a strong peppermint scent, which I don't really like. It isn't really pleasant, but it flies away so quickly, that I don't mind it.

The only real cons I found about the product itself, is that it dries out my sensitive skin a bit too much, then I'll have to buy a more moisturizing essence or gel cream, because, I just don't want to stop using this.
And finally, the other two things I don't like about the Skin Action Sebum Gel is : the price and the packaging!
51$ is so expensive for the poor student I am, but I still think it's a good investment, seeing how it works on my skin! 
As for the packaging : it's only the second time I buy the Skin Action Sebum Gel, but it's also the second time the packaging has a disfunction. I prefer unscrewing the pump to get some product out, because otherwise, it could end in a carnage...
But! I just saw on Cellnique website that the packaging has been changed! I can't tell you whether the disfunctions will disappear with this change, but it looks way more solid than before, so it can't be worse :).


 
Quick overview
♢ Skin types : combination-oily skin.
♢ Size : 30ml.
♢ Usage : ☼ & ☾ on oily area, after toner and before moisturizer.

Texture : Rich Gel
Scent : Peppermint
Packaging : Pump container with risks of disfunction*
Price : Expensive (51$ for 30ml)
Results : Works wonder for black/whiteheads and to control sebum! ★
Overall : ☆

*The packaging isn't the same anymore. Cellnique now shows us an improved and more solid looking packaging. A very good news for those who, like me, struggle with the pump.


Laneige Water Bank Essence
What Laneige website says about its product...


My review :  
First of all, I'd like to say despite the fact the Water Bank Essence didn't work as well as I would have liked on my skin, I still liked it very much. The scent of this essence is so pleasant. It softens the skin, and you just feel amazing after you applied it on. The texture is very light, so it doesn't feel heavy at all on the skin. I think it would be a great moisturizer for combination-oily skin. If you tend to be more on the dry side, like me, I recommend you to use it as a second step of moisturizing, after a gel cream or anything richer that doesn't contain oil, otherwise you will have to use too much product and you will run out of it very quickly.

Besides the lack of moisture people with dry skin would have while using this essence, there aren't any con about it. Maybe the original price? But for those who know Sasa, I don't think the price is a big problem anymore. :)


Quick overview :
♢ Skin types : combination-oily skin.
♢ Size : 60ml.
♢ Usage : ☼ & ☾ as the last step of skincare routine.

Texture : Very light water-based essence ★★★★★
Scent : Really nice and fresh
Packaging :  Hygienic glass pump container ☆
Price : Pricey (42$ for 60ml on Yesstyle*)
Results : Works well on my combination skin in the summer, but not moisturizing enough in a cold weather!

Overall : ☆

*You can still get it for a more affordable price on Sasa thanks to
the never ending sales that are held. :)


Laneige Power Skin Essential Refiner Light



My review
It's only the second toner I have tried, after the SK-II Facial Treatment Clear Lotion. I think the two work really well, but I'll keep using the Laneige Power Skin Essential Refiner for several reasons. First of all, like the Water Bank essence, it just smells so great! It's also very light and helps to control sebum. It gets rid of the last traces of dirt and makeup there can be, it prevents my skin from drying out too much after cleansing, and it conditions it well before applying my other skincares.

But the best thing about it is, of course, the price! This toner is way much cheaper than the SK-II one. You get a 200ml bottle of Laneige Power Skin Essential Refiner for 30$, but if you go for the SK-II Facial Treatment Clear Lotion, you get a 150ml for 68$ (on Yesstyle).

Anyway, whichever the one you choose, never forget that Sasa is there for you!


Quick overview :
♢ Skin types : combination-oily skin (you can also find a moisture version of this Laneige Power Skin Essential Refiner for dry skin).
♢ Size : 200ml.
♢ Usage : Apply with a cotton pad ☼ & ☾ right after cleansing.

Texture : Very light ★★★★★
Scent : Nice and fresh
Packaging :  Plastic container ☆
Price : Affordable, but still on the pricey side (30$ for 200ml on Yesstyle and even cheaper on Sasa)
Results : Works great on combination skin (cleans, moistures&controls sebum, conditions before applying other products)

Overall :

I hope this review will help some of you! I wish you good luck if you are starting off a new school year, and especially if, like me, you are entering university soon! I know how you all feel, just be confident! 
Have a good week. :)

2 comments:

  1. great review! have you noticed any improvements in your skin like brightness or smoothness??

    www.tigerlilybeauty.blogspot.co.uk | UK beauty blog

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank youu.
      My skin was definitly smoother, but I didn't see any noticeable brightening effects!

      Delete